Monday, April 5, 2010

To Pexy or Not To Pexy?

Right lateral abdominal radiograph taken of Cole shortly after arrival at the Huronia Veterinary Emergency Clinic.

On Easter Sunday, right around dinner time, Cole had an episode of "mild to moderate" gas distension of his stomach. A state of silent panic started inside me as soon as I saw this image. The DVM on duty was not overly concerned about it, but erred on the side of caution and recommended to keep Cole for observation and treatment if necessary. There was no torsion of his stomach, and the gas resolved on its own with only minimal treatment. Upon discharge, it was recommended that I discuss a prophylactic gastropexy with my regular DVM, although the ER vet would not necessarily recommend this himself.

This is where the dilemma begins.... There is much controversy right now in the veterinary community about whether preventative gastropexies should be performed. Some pet owners of high risk breeds are opting to have this procedure done while the pet is in for his / her spay or neuter. Cole's situation is a little bit different, as he has now had an episode of gas build up in his stomach, the precursor to bloat and GDV. Because I own one of the "high risk" breeds, I am always on high alert when it comes to GDV. Arlo's littermate, Mika, had a full blown GDV not long ago while in my care. I caught it immediately, and I knew what was going on. I got her in to my vet right away, and she was rushed into surgery. She survived with no complications. Not all do.

Based on Cole's history and the recent research I have done, I am leaning really heavily towards having the gastropexy done. There are many good reasons in my mind to have this procedure done now. He will be stable when he goes in for surgery rather than in a life threatening state of health. Post-op complications will likely be far less than if he'd had the procedure done post GDV. There is always a risk with any surgery. The risk would be far, far greater if I decided to "wait and see". Dogs that bloat once almost always will bloat again. It is usually just a matter of time... If Cole develops a GDV and I am not here to catch it right away, the outcome could be devastating. That is simply a risk I do not want to take.

No comments: