Saturday, April 10, 2010

Neglectful Blog Owner

I have really been neglecting by blog lately... A LOT.... Truth be known, I actually love blogging. It is so extremely satisfying to have a place where I can put my thoughts down where I don't have to think about who I have to please other than myself. Sound selfish? I don't think so... In so many instances in our lives where we are required to write something, quite often it is really for someone else, and we must constantly think about pleasing those parties in some way. Here of course I do want to please my readers, but honestly the number one reason I do this is to please myself. If others happen to get something out of it, then that is a "bonus". I do try to make my posts interesting, funny, and well written. But my true underlying desire is self satisfaction.

The main reason I have been so neglectful lately is that I find that I have little or no time for anything, and it is stressing me out quite a bit. My work schedule is quite demanding, something I am trying to change. I also suffer (immensely) with dial-up internet service, so uploading anything is painfully slow at best. I plan to put up a few back - posts here on the blog, as there have been some important events I wanted to document lately. Until then, I'll continue on, trying to find some balance in my life.

Monday, April 5, 2010

To Pexy or Not To Pexy?

Right lateral abdominal radiograph taken of Cole shortly after arrival at the Huronia Veterinary Emergency Clinic.

On Easter Sunday, right around dinner time, Cole had an episode of "mild to moderate" gas distension of his stomach. A state of silent panic started inside me as soon as I saw this image. The DVM on duty was not overly concerned about it, but erred on the side of caution and recommended to keep Cole for observation and treatment if necessary. There was no torsion of his stomach, and the gas resolved on its own with only minimal treatment. Upon discharge, it was recommended that I discuss a prophylactic gastropexy with my regular DVM, although the ER vet would not necessarily recommend this himself.

This is where the dilemma begins.... There is much controversy right now in the veterinary community about whether preventative gastropexies should be performed. Some pet owners of high risk breeds are opting to have this procedure done while the pet is in for his / her spay or neuter. Cole's situation is a little bit different, as he has now had an episode of gas build up in his stomach, the precursor to bloat and GDV. Because I own one of the "high risk" breeds, I am always on high alert when it comes to GDV. Arlo's littermate, Mika, had a full blown GDV not long ago while in my care. I caught it immediately, and I knew what was going on. I got her in to my vet right away, and she was rushed into surgery. She survived with no complications. Not all do.

Based on Cole's history and the recent research I have done, I am leaning really heavily towards having the gastropexy done. There are many good reasons in my mind to have this procedure done now. He will be stable when he goes in for surgery rather than in a life threatening state of health. Post-op complications will likely be far less than if he'd had the procedure done post GDV. There is always a risk with any surgery. The risk would be far, far greater if I decided to "wait and see". Dogs that bloat once almost always will bloat again. It is usually just a matter of time... If Cole develops a GDV and I am not here to catch it right away, the outcome could be devastating. That is simply a risk I do not want to take.