Friday, February 13, 2009

February Training Weekend

Mike Bauer, giving some instruction and tips to Me with Eros.

February 7th & 8th 2009, the Capital City Schutzhund Club hosted their annual February training weekend. This was my first opportunity to attend. This year they invited Mike Bauer, a 5 time WUSV competitor to come out and share some of his training insights with the group. Unfortunately, I was only able to attend on the Sunday, and missed all of Saturday along with Saturday evening's dinner and socializing. I had never met Mike before, and was very pleased with his easy going manner, and his willingness to help and point out where he thought the handlers could improve. It is always so refreshing to hear another opinion of your work with your dog, especially from someone who has had world level experience.

Mike offered me some great tips, and I was very happy to get his advice. I had been really re-thinking my whole training philosophies since our disastrous showing at the Buffalo trial, and his tips were welcome. Eros was worked in obedience and protection, and much to my surprise, Eros showed great nerve and fight in the bitework phase. Eros has never been worked in defense drive, only strictly in prey. He also has very limited experience on new and strange helpers (my fault = bad handler!). I informed Mike right at the beginning of the protection session that Eros has been, up to that point, trained only in prey drive. I was lucky to have Mike work him in the bitework phase. Mike pushed Eros more than he has ever been pushed, and that was also the first time Eros had ever seen Mike. Eros took everything Mike through at him in stride, and showed no evidence of fear, unsuredness, or lack of courage. I have to admit, I was a little surprised at Eros' performance, as I had always viewed him as somewhat of a softer kind of dog whose great drive made him look so good in bitework. This one little session proves that not to be the case at all. In fact, I was elated when Mike said more than once while working Eros in the bitework session that, "This is a nice dog!". He said it in a real genuine tone, and with enthusiasm. For this to come from a 5 time world competitor who's standards for "nice dogs" are quite high, I feel it really means something... Now, on to some serious training!

For many reasons, I did not work Arlo in the seminar. In hindsight, I wish I would've had given Mike the chance to see Arlo's bitework. I would've liked to hear his opinion, as this is what I've been struggling with for some time.

A big thanks to my friend Trish for snapping a whole bunch of great photos for me.

Mike working on a distraction exercise by swinging a ball around. Eros has nice focus, and only needed to be corrected once for looking away, and then he did not look away again.

Mike now throwing the ball past Eros... nice focus again.


Getting ready to start heeling.

Mike giving me some tips, must be important, he is very intense!

Some nice attentive heeling, not Eros' best work, he was stressed (so was I)

Nice attention.


Waiting for protection to begin.
Nice barking.


Nice bite.
Little run with the sleeve.


Hold and bark.
Hold and bark after the out, no re-gripping this time.


The bite.

Me walking around Eros during the guarding phase, normally he'll look away from the helper at me, not this time.


Eros getting pushed into the crowd a little bit. He's got some sleeve goober on his nose...
Mike adding some physical distraction...

At the end, love this photo, we are all smiling. Not sure who was speaking or what was said.

1 comment:

Muttsandaklutz said...

Hi there,

I visit your blog regularly and just thought I'd say hello. Helen (with her shelties Tucker and Ceilidh) gave me the link to your blog a while ago. What I know about schutzhund could fit into a teaspoon, so I enjoy learning about it here.

It was fun reading all the recent updates. Sounds like you and your pups have been keeping quite busy. :-)

Lisa