Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Agility Lessons 2008

Above, Cole and Blaze.


Today Blaze, Cole, and I had our first private lesson since summer of 2007. My school schedule in the fall and winter prevented me from pursuing ongoing lessons throughout the fall of 2007 and winter 2008. Also, because I have become quite particular about the style of coaching I prefer, I was extremely hesitant about switching coaches and decided to wait until my instructor of choice was available. I think when you have found a good match, then it's best to stick with it.

I found myself lacking a bit of confidence while walking the tricky sequences today. I had been out of practice and not in the agility mindset for quite some time. It's also hard when your instrutor is watching your every move waiting to see if you can see the light and figure out the best path for your dog. I felt like a beginner again! Blaze, however, was once again flawless. His only errors were my errors, and when I was clear in my handling, Blaze performed like a pro. I found myself wondering if Blaze would trade me in for a better handler if he could...... It seems I am the only thing holding him back. It was amazing and also comforting to me to see that when my handling was clear, Blaze was perfect. What an eye opener and a definite motivator to improve my skills.

With Cole, it becomes so obvious that I have done so little work with him in any discipline. Had it not been for his elbow surgery at 10 months of age, he would have been in agility lessons as a young adult. It wasn't until after a few years of observing his behaviour on our 1 acre property that I considered teaching him agility. He is able to get into a full speed run, and will stop dead and turn on a dime. He wrestles with Blaze, jumps down the steps from the porch instead of walking all the way down, and charges full speed at my neighbors cattle behind the fence. All of these activities put far more pressure on his elbow than agility ever will. So, once we started agility, we never looked back. He absolutely LOVES agility. It is clear though that we have some important foundation work to focus on. Time to get training!

No comments: