Monday, December 25, 2006

Arlo's Accomplishments 2006

In June of 2006, the German Shepherd Dog Club of Canada hosted their very first Temperament Test, the TEC. Arlo participated in the test. I entered Arlo in the TEC just for fun. I knew he would pass this test without incident. Also, any chance I get to do something positive and fun with my dogs I will definitely do it. I knew all of the different phases of the test before I entered. It was a great feeling to have such a stable minded dog with me during this test. This would be his second temperament test that he passed, the first being during his BH. In many ways the TEC was similar to the BH temperament phase. Interestingly, Arlo jumped on the jugde in the "greeting a friendly stranger" portion of the TEC, in a happy, friendly manner. It would seem that jumping up on people to greet them is something we need to work on.......... :) (see Arlo's Accomplishments 2005)
September 2006 saw us in our first attempt at CKC obedience. I had never seriously considered CKC obedience competiton, being a serious schutzhund competitor. My journey into CKC obedience started in August of this year. Our schutzhund training director signed up some of our club members for a CKC "fun match". It was the Golden Triangle German Shepherd Dog Club verses the German Shepherd Dog Club of London. Arlo and I were on the Golden Triangle team. I had never even seen a CKC obedience routine before, and went into the ring "blind". Arlo did so well, and the judge was particularly impressed with our off leash healing. I thought to myself, "I can do this CKC stuff!", and decided to enter Arlo in the German Shepherd National Specialty Show in Kitchener. What a way to make a debut, at a National Specialty! I was so nervous going into the ring, it was crazy. Arlo's first two attempts were awesome. His very first score was 194.5. He was 1.5 points away from the high in trial dog, and I lost 2 points in that routine for handler errors! They were errors I didn't even know I made. Arlo received two first place scores for his first two routines. I was very proud of him. I received a ton of feedback from fellow competitors, and from some of the spectators. Many were impressed with Arlo's focus and attentive heeling. After one of our routines, I remember there were so many people clapping for him, it was one of the best feelings I've had ever working with one of my dogs. The next day we were not so lucky, and he broke his group sit stays in his next two routines, so no title for us. Arlo does not see the point of those group sits, and we have tried 2 more times since the National. He broke his group sits again! It seems we need to work on those group sits before we earn that last elusive leg towards our CD title. I definitely recommend watching some CKC trials before you enter. If I had just a little more knowledge of CKC trial rules, I could have went home with a high in trial win that day.
One of my happiest days was when Arlo earned his Schutzhund I title October 21st, 2006, under judge Johannes Grewe. We had been working towards this title for about a year and a half. I was a nervous wreck, and the tracking phase was my biggest worry, as our tracking seemed to fall apart about a month prior to the trial. I was convinced we would fail. When Arlo passed tracking, my anxiety level dropped dramatically, and the rest of the trial was far less stressful. I was still nervous, but not hysterical. My favourite phase was the obedience phase. I loved the way Arlo worked throughout his whole obedience routine. It was beautiful, and it felt so good to have such a happy, attentive dog by my side. Arlo is truly a special boy.

No comments: